Health Assistance: how to choose an insurance

Please note that for non-EU students it is mandatory to hold a health insurance (or a health insurance payment receipt) in order to apply for the residence permit. There several options to explore to have health assistance.

Private Health Insurance in your home country

You can decide to purchase a private health insurance in your own country before departure. In this case it has to be validated by the Italian embassy and translated into Italian or English.

Check with your italian representative if there is an health assistance agreements between your country and Italy which entitles you to access the Italian National Health Service for free get the agreement documentation from the Italian embassy/consulate and once in Italy submit it to the ASL Pavia in Viale Indipendenza 3/ Monday – Thursdays 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m./Friday 8:30 a.m. to 12:30

Register with the Italian National Health Service SSN

This Italian National Health insurance is valid one calendar year (January 1st – December 31st). Even if you arrive in September, it is better to subscribe this kind of insurance in January. To cover the three months between your arrival and January, you can subscribe a private italian insurance (more information later on)

In order to register with the SSN, go to any post office, fill in a blank payment form calle “bollettino postale” with the following data and pay 149,77 €:
c/c postale n.: 379222  – Intestato a: Amministrazione P.T. Regione Lombardia – Causale: iscrizione volontaria S.s.n

Once you have carried out the payment, you can use the payment receipt to apply for the residence permit.

After applying for the residence permit, you have to go to the ASL ASL Pavia in Viale Indipendenza 3/ Monday – Thursdays 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m./Friday 8:30 a.m. to 12:30. Here you will be assigned a GP, famili doctor. Through the family doctor you can have access to a reduced price when you buy medicines or medical check ups.

Get the following document ready before going to the ASL because they are going to ask them:

  • self-certificate of enrolment at UNIPV (download from the your personal AREA on the UNIPV website)
  • residence permit application receipt
  • italian fiscal code
  • copy of your passport
  • receipt of the payment for the SSN subscription

You will receive at first a temporary health coverage lasting 6 months, once you get the residence permit card submit it to the ALS office to get the health coverage valid until December 31st.

Italian Private Health Insurance

A convenient private health insurance for international students is provided by the Generali Company.  To activate this Health Insurance Covers is necesssary to join the association Welcome Association Italy “W.A.I.​” and to pay the Association Joining Fee.

It cost 120 € for 12 months’ assistance and 71 € for 6 months’ assistance (from the day of purchase) for non-EU citizens. EU citizens younger than 40 years old have to pay 202 € for 12 months and 142 € for 6 months. It covers emergencies (that means that expenses are covered only if you are admitted to hospital by ambulance or through the emergency room), but it also provides a few extra services for 3 times a year each.

It is necessary to register to the website: and from here you can choose your form of payment (credit card, bank transfer, “bollettino fiscale”). Once the payment is confirmed it will be possible to download from the website the policy certificate.  For detailed information about the policy services, conditions and payment check carefully the website:

Please note that for non-EU citizens the policy will be valid only after applying for the residence permit.