Steps before leaving your country and online pre-enrollment: register to UNIVERSITALY


EU citizens do not need a visa to enter Italy.

Non-EU student residing outside of Italy need to start the online pre-enrollment application in order to request the visa.

To find out whether you need to apply for a study visa (type D) at the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence, and what documentation you need, follow this link.


As established by the Ministry of University and Research (MUR), the pre-enrollment request will be submitted online through the platform UNIVERSITALY .

Consult the guidelines here.


The pre-enrollment procedure must be completed at the competent diplomatic-consular mission and it is not complete with the sending of the pre-enrollment application (point 2) only.


Getting you visa means that you are allowed to travel to Italy but don’t forget to bring the original and/or upload it to confirm your enrollment at the University of Pavia.

Please note:
Classes are going to start at the end of September. It is important that you have applied for pre-enrollment and enrollment by that time or you will not be able to attend them (even if just online).

We will wait for an answer about your visa application within November 30th.

Admission will be valid to enroll to a.y. 2020/2021 and it will not be penalized by international travel restrictions due to the global health emergency.

Any decision concerning the arrival in Italy and attendance to classes, will comply with health directives issued by the Italian Government.

As far as the activity of the Italian Embassies abroad is concerned, they are mainly operating in a work-from-home mode, with limited access and/or just dedicated to urgency, in compliance with local health regulations.
In view of the above, it is to be expected, unfortunately, that some delays may occur.
However, we hope that in the countries where health conditions allow it and consular activity is resumed, students can proceed with the pre-enrolment procedure and the subsequent application for a study visa.